Thursday 10 January 2019

Sydney, Australia 2019 Day 6

Today was a low key day. We needed to relax and give our bodies a rest. Last night, at about 10:30 pm, the administrator for a FB group I belong to, “Up the Cross and Down the Loo”, suggested we go up the street to the Piccolo Bar for their weekly jam. The Piccolo has been a regular hang out for an eclectic group of Kings Cross locals since 1952 and still run by the owner, Sal. Seating inside is limited to about 8 if you squeeze and a few tables outside. Although it is a bar, you have to bring your own. A small corkage gets you glasses. I joined in with some very colourful musicians. It was fun with a warm invitation to come back next Wednesday. Jill sat outside and chatted up a few locals that stopped by.

For lunch, we went to a hole in the wall spot just up from us called D and B, Dumplings and Beer. Seating was very limited. It was run by two lovely Chinese sisters. They had been in Australia for 42 and 38 years. They both had Australian accents. They told us about life in China where they grew up. They said that their parents treated them like slaves while their brothers were treated like princes. Dumpling were the main food item and especially when their parents had parties, they both had to make many hundreds of dumplings for their guests.They were very charming.

Rather than going for a walk, we popped into Harris Farms, a great fresh produce, meat and fish store in the heart of the Cross. We decided on lamb shanks for dinner. Cooking and prep was three hours, which was perfect since we were staying in. I used my osso bucco recipe which is topped with a gremolata of lemon and orange zest, parsley and garlic. Delish.

I ended the night with a private concert for Jill, playing her favourite songs, including I’m Sorry and Down Under, which I wrote here during our last visit. Here are the words to Down Under:

Laugh with the Kookaburras, swim in the Sea
Take the coastal walk it feels good to be free
Down under, back home, my baby and me

Search the night sky for the Southern Cross
Snorkel with the grouper, we gather no moss
Down under, back home, my baby and me

When we open our eyes to a clear blue sky
We slathered on sunscreen, we don’t like to fry
Hop on a bus that takes us where
We start walking without a care

It’s usually by the water where the breeze is cool
Talk to the magpies and act like a fool
Down under, back home, my baby and me

When its sunny and hot, we head to the beach
It’s not too far and easy to reach
Throw towels down, run to the sea
Play in the surf then catch some zzz’s

This could be heaven she whispered to me

See the Blue Mountains, big Katoomba skies
Doing Aussie salutes to pesky flies
Down under, back home, my baby and me

Sip a long black down in Woolloomooloo 
Listen to the busker on a didgeridoo 
Down under, back home, my baby and me

When were hungry and hot, we head for a pub
With ice cold beer and Aussie grub
A meat pie with sauce is what I crave
Beetroot on a burger with onions sautéed 

Take the ferry over to Taronga Park Zoo
Hang with koalas and kangaroos 
Down under, back home, my baby and me
Down under, back home, my baby and me












2 comments:

  1. The Piccolo Bar looks like a fun spot. Your meal looks so delicious, so professional. The words to your song are superb! I love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamb Shank! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Cuba Day 7, January 16, 2024

Our last day in paradise, is always a little melancholy on this beautiful sunny day. Saying goodbye to the wonderful Cubans we have met. We ...