Friday 13 September 2019

Day 13, Paleochora, Crete, Greece

Day 13

Overnight we could hear the wind which was forecast, especially the gusts.  After breakfast we headed to the beach to see how the wind would affect us.  Surprisingly, there was virtually no one on the beach loungers which are usually taken.  No one was in the water.  Clouds were coming over the mountains.  One operator didn’t even set up his loungers while others set up wind screens.  It was the first day to see white caps on the water as the wind sent stinging sand over the beach.  Jill and I found a pair of cushy loungers in the third row from the beach where we’re relegated, a couple of cold beer from our fridge, our books and we were 
happy.  When we went for our daily swimmersize, the water was choppy but we endured.  The beach walk afterwards was not as good.  Stinging sand is not pleasant and leaning into the wind was a no go.

We had been advised that there would be two scheduled power outages today because of work on the lines. After the first one, Jill and I continued on our dot art.  I finished several of mine my favourite is the boomerang stone.  I didn’t look at anything for inspiration, I just let the rock talk to me and then I dotted.  I finished all of my rocks ad gave one to Maria.  Jill will let Kiki pick one tomorrow.  I took pictures.  Jill’s are beautiful. 

As we are leaving tomorrow, I made a Greek salad for lunch with the left over produce from yesterday and I popped out to get some protein from the butcher. My total came to EU 3.12.  Rounding off is common here. “Three euros please.” They don’t like small change.     

After lunch, we continued with our dot art and then one last walk on the sandy beach to say goodbye.  I took pictures to assist our memories.  We went out for dinner and made it back to watch the sun go down from the roof terrace with a bottle of Greek bubbly from Rhodes, a very nice wine.  The wind gusts were incredible. The clouds were ominous as rain was forecast.                                                              We grabbed our glasses so many times fearing a spill when the gusts came through. 

Packing time then bedtime. We leave tomorrow by bus to the north coast for Rethymno.








3 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed every day thanks to your blog, Peter! It was like being there again. Hope the next leg of your trip will be equally as wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stones are amazing...well done P & J!!!

    ReplyDelete

Day two, Porto, Portugal May 7, 2024

We slept for over 12 hours and woke up refreshed. We were thrilled to have an espresso machine and lots of coffee, which went well with the ...