Thursday 24 January 2019

Sydney, Australia 2019, The End

Our last full day was spent with family that have made Australia home. Our destination was in the Northern Beaches, a two train and one hour bus ride brought us to Cromer, a beautiful hilly, lush suburb of Northern Sydney. It is a beautiful country. Beautiful people. But it was time to say goodbye.

After a lovely visit and delicious meal we got back to our place and started packing, the sad and reflective part of our journey. We reminisced as we dreaded arriving from a warm, sometimes very hot climate, to extreme cold. We planned how we would layer our clothing to keep warm while we waited for our Park’n’Fly bus. In my case, t-shirt, shirt, spring jacket and Jill would wrap a scarf around my neck. Jill the same. No pictures, no video.

For the first time, I got some pictures from the plane I was happy with, like the sunrise as we approached the BC coast and towns below. The Rocky Mountains as we departed Vancouver, and Edmonton as we were landing. The food was awesome so I had to include some of what we were served. The sky was clear when we approached Toronto so I had to take some pictures of the sparkly communities below us. It was nice to get home and once again cook with gas. 

The comfort of staying in Elizabeth Bay was priceless. It was just doors down from where I started school and also where I repeated grade 1, as recommended by a Sister of Mercy. She was right, I was not ready to move on as my language skills were lacking. My first language was Slovenian with some choice Serbian, Austrian and Italian words and expressions. 

Potts Point has been many things, as has her naughty sister, Kings Cross. I lived there during the time of transition to naughty. It has continued to change with the laws. When we lived there, I walked its streets and laneways with my sister always by my side, and we played in its parks as innocent children. Despite its change, the eclectic attraction is still ever present. We spent some time at the Piccolo Bar where like tree rings, those that frequent the Piccolo, and Vittorio, who has owned the bar since 1952, freely pass on their stories of long ago.  

Until our next trip, cheers!






























2 comments:

  1. Your blog has been absolutely fabulous! Your super photos and excellent descriptions of your days made me feel as if I was right there with you. Many thanks!
    Your meals on the plane look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do it mainly for you and for us to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Cuba Day 7, January 16, 2024

Our last day in paradise, is always a little melancholy on this beautiful sunny day. Saying goodbye to the wonderful Cubans we have met. We ...