Wednesday 13 September 2023

Day 15 Naxos to Athens

September 13, 2023

We were up early and after a shower and coffee, we retraced our steps from when we were here last with our good friends Pam and Bruce Davies. I easily found where we stayed last time in a multi level Airbnb. It brought back so many fun memories, particularly the time we ran out of wine (surprise) and Bruce ran down to the local taverna to fill up our wine bottle with wine from their barrel - out of a spigot, which I believe cost €4. Forever known as spigot wine.


We walked over to see the Portara, which is the remains of the Temple of Apollo. Winds were very strong today and the water was rough. It was splashing onto the narrow walk up to the Portara so we decided not to climb up. The town was a lot calmer than when we arrived yesterday evening. Today is the ferry strike so the port was quiet. We passed a taverna with octopus drying. This is done so that when grilled, it crisps up. Many tavernas have huge basil bushes outside. Hornets hate basil, so I’m guessing it’s to keep them away.


Our accommodation included a key to get up to the roof terrace where I took some pictures of the town. Back to our place for breakfast and another pack for our 1 o’clock flight to Athens. We have come to the conclusion that our next trip will be with carry-on. Our host drove us to Naxos airport, tiny. Our flight to Athens was a little short of 45 minutes. We waited by the bus depot for our hotel shuttle amongst the throngs of group travellers getting on coaches. The shuttle took the narrow country roads, past vineyards and olive groves to Rafina, a half hour somewhat wild ride. The four story hotel was like entering the lap of luxury. Finally, an elevator. Jill asked for a top floor room, with a balcony, overlooking the ocean. Room 417 - awesome. The room was tight but very modern, with a good shower and comfy beds. It was the most expensive room of our journey, but what a nice way to end our Greek Odyssey. We are happy as Larry.


I switched from black T-shirt to white T-shirt to check out the tavernas along the port. They all looked good but we decided to have a celebratory dinner on our last night at the hotel. We walked to a large supermarket and bought a bottle of South African Chenin Blanc from the cooler to enjoy on our balcony. I also found some black figs. 


On every island, I looked for figs. I was told, to my disappointment, that the fig season was over ten days ago. I thought I had found some in Koufonissi and I bought four. They were hard. When I cut into them, I realized they were small brown skinned pears. I didn’t give up. Finally, I found some in Athens.


We had the last of our olives, cheese, salami and crackers to enjoy with the Chenin blanc wine, It is delicious. The cool sea breeze, wine, snacks, a great sea view and being with the love of my life, heaven.


We both packed some good clothes which we hadn’t worn. We decided to get dressed up for dinner at the hotel and splurge. We ordered a bottle of Prosecco, shared lobster and crab tortellini in a lobster bisque and shared a thin crust pizza with prosciutto, arugula, roasted tomatoes and cheese, it was delicious. We were surprised by a dessert, on the house, a heart shaped chocolate covered mousse with a candle. What a lovely dinner with my honey to end our Greek Odyssey.















































1 comment:

  1. Pam and I both recognized the blue door to the AirBNB. Great trip! Safe Home!

    ReplyDelete

Day one, Porto, Portugal May 6, 2024

Our adventure started at noon on Sunday when were picked up by Red Car for our ride to the airport. We celebrated while we killed time at th...