Tuesday 3 September 2019

Day 3, Paleochora, Crete, Greece

Day 3

The temptation to sample many of the home made sweets at breakfast is hard to resist.  I have been able to reduce my daily carb intake by avoiding the cornucopia of goodies on offer, but today I had to try one bite of the cream pastry.  It was heavenly. The fried bread in the warming tray alongside the fried eggs and ham had me salivating, but I was good.  With a breeze off the mountains, breakfast on the roof terrace overlooking the sandy beach is heavenly.  After breakfast it was off to the sandy beach for our now ritualistic swim and beach walk.  See yesterday’s post for the rules for beach walking.  Stop, look down, pivot, walk back. I should also mention that I love stones. And everyday I can’t help but put the best in my bathing suit pocket. I have amassed a nice collection, perfect for playing the stone balancing game we play with our granddaughters.  

In no time we were ready for lunch and the 5 minute walk into town to the restaurant next to the fish market. I had my favourite, fried fresh calamari, which came with a small salad. Jill had fried cheese and zucchini balls which were in fact flat.  They were delicious.  A simple recipe of grated zucchini, onion, carrots, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.  A siesta was in order before another swim and beach walk.  On the way home we picked up some chicken and veg for a one pot stew for dinner.  Cooking here is like glam camping.  A small space with limited kitchen resources.  We did bring things like a chef’s knife, cutting board, large fry pan, spatula, tongs, steak knives, salt, chilli peppers, Frank’s hot sauce, tea towels, and cooking apron.  Makes for a more enjoyable cooking experience since we like to take a break from eating out.   


I love the picture of the restaurant across from where we had lunch. Jill is in the reflection of their window to the right of their doorway. Not intentional but a nice surprise. 





3 comments:

  1. Pam and I found Jill in the window. It was like Where's Waldo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At breakfast I loved the filo pastry that was filled with some cheese and had a hint of sweetness. Your dinner looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Day two, Porto, Portugal May 7, 2024

We slept for over 12 hours and woke up refreshed. We were thrilled to have an espresso machine and lots of coffee, which went well with the ...