Monday 9 September 2019

Day 8, Paleochora, Crete, Greece

Day 8

After breakfast, a swim and beach walk, we went back to our place where Jill worked on her dot art while I experimented with painting a picture using a set of watercolour brush pens.  It was time for lunch so we went to the restaurant a few doors down from our hotel, Papagalos Cafe and Bar.  The restaurant was open to the back so a breeze came through to cool us on another warm day.  Once again, a delicious lunch of a chicken Caesar salad for Jill and calamari with salad for me. The calamari were the best so far on this trip. 

We walked into town and bought a bream for dinner.  This time I asked him to cut off the head and tail so that it would fit our frying pan.  We also stopped by the store, whose picture of painted rocks I previously posted, to see if she could drill a hole in one of the stones I picked up on the beach.  I have been wanting to get a necklace for myself but had a hard time finding one I liked. The stones on the beach inspired me to make one with a memory from Greece.  Some stones are too hard and impossible to drill but the flat stone I picked was a good candidate.  It will be ready in a few days.  After a short snooze, we went for another swim and beach walk.

The fish fit perfectly in the pan.  Dinner was delicious and so enjoyable on our balcony.  We were invited by the family that owns our hotel to come to the roof terrace for a mojito party while the sun was setting.  Up we went and met many of the hotel guests.  A diverse group from Austria, Norway, and surprisingly four from Australia.  One Australian couple had been coming back here for thirteen years.  All very nice people.  Of course, much of my conversation was with the Aussies.  Maria, the owner’s daughter and her Columbian boyfriend, who she met at school in Barcelona, showed us their salsa moves.  We did not attempt it as we don’t like to embarrass ourselves.

We ended the evening chatting with the family before we retired for the night. Another great day. 









3 comments:

  1. I hope you post your painting and Jill's painted rocks when finished. I made a necklace from a beautiful flat shell. I couldn't drill into it so glued the loop attachment on instead.
    I can't stop looking at all your photos...thanks, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess dancing in Greece is difficult without your dance partner and a napkin.

    ReplyDelete

Day two, Porto, Portugal May 7, 2024

We slept for over 12 hours and woke up refreshed. We were thrilled to have an espresso machine and lots of coffee, which went well with the ...