Thursday 19 September 2024

Day 7, September 19, 2024, Kalymnos, Greece

Another beautiful day, 25 degrees. After renting our beach loungers, we did another power walk as far as we could go. It’s about 5 km in total. We got back after 12 and decided to have lunch before our swim. We loved the Caesar salad so had it again with a plate of fries. I will have to find out what oil they use, they are the best ever. Jill must be down at least one cheese saganaki. Saganaki is a small pan which is mainly used to fry cheese, but also for shrimp and mussels. Our stay in Kalymnos is winding down, but I still got some great pictures on our walk.

Kalymnos is known as the sponge diving island. At first divers didn’t have any equipment other than a rope with a heavy stone to lower them into deep water where sponges were found. Once they developed suits with air hoses it allowed them to dive deeper. Sadly, decompression illnesses claimed the lives of 10,000 divers and paralyzed 20,000. Google has lots of info on the history of sponge diving. Tarpon Springs in Florida was settled by sponge divers from Kalymnos and is now a vibrant Greek community. Tarpon Springs is where Jill’s parents had a place for many years.

Since we had lunch out, we decided to have dinner in. I made smoked salmon spaghetti. We bought ingredients on the way back from our walk along with a bottle of sparkling wine to celebrate our time in Kalymnos. Quite the challenge with one hot plate but with Jill’s help, we pulled off a delicious meal.

While sitting on our patio a small cat showed up. Muchka was not impressed. It resulted in a cat fight with fur flying. The little one would not take no for an answer. I picked her up and took he down the road but she came back, again and again. Got into our place, under the bed, three times. She still came back. Jumped on my lap and purred.. Muchka didn’t care anymore. No more fighting. I feel like a cat magnet. This little one is so sweet. Here I am writing my blog and she is on my lap rubbing and purring. Rubbing on my beard. Ignorant of the fact I am a dog person. We’ve named her Mishka. It will be hard to leave Muchka and Mishka behind. I’m in love.
























1 comment:

  1. You are going to have to edit these pictures before you show them to Molly!

    ReplyDelete

Day 10, September 22, 2024, Going Home

Our taxi driver was a Greek woman with a strong Aussie accent. She had moved to Australia with her parents in the sixties. She asked me what...