Saturday 21 September 2024

Day 8, September 20, 2024, Kalymnos, Greece

Today started off partially cloudy. It was a bit chilly at 23 degrees but warmed up to 25 with a cooling breeze. Muchka and Mishka we’re waiting for me on the patio. We headed out for a walk and on the way back we stopped at Stallis restaurant where we split a Mythos beer and then decided to stay for lunch. Jill had meatballs which were juicy and delicious. I had a whole grilled Dorada, a type of sea bream, both came with fried potatoes. The fish was large as was the plate of meatballs. We both couldn’t finish our meals so Jill packed up the leftovers for dinner tonight. Muchka was waiting for us on my chair. I gave her the rest of my fish. Muchka is pregnant and seems to be getting bigger by the day. Her meowing told me she knew it was going to be for her as I broke it up in the kitchen on a small plate. She licked the plate clean. Then it was snooze time.

This is our last night in Kalymnos. I said good bye to the nice mini market man and the owner of the restaurant on our beach. I asked him what they used to deep fry their French fries. I wanted to know because they were so tasty. Sunflower oil, low in saturated fat and has vitamin E. I think when we pan fry anything with breading, I will give it a go instead of extra virgin olive oil which has become expensive. 

After our leftover dinner of smoked salmon pasta, fried potatoes and meatballs, we headed down to our beach restaurant for a Greek coffee, Mataxa, and wine. A final goodbye to the family which runs it. 

We just received sad news, although not unexpected, my brother-in-law Roy Cordell has passed away peacefully with his family by his side. We have cancelled the rest of our trip and are heading home tomorrow to be with family. 

 

















1 comment:

Day 10, September 22, 2024, Going Home

Our taxi driver was a Greek woman with a strong Aussie accent. She had moved to Australia with her parents in the sixties. She asked me what...