Tuesday 4 September 2018

Milos, Greece, Day 5

Before we left on this holiday, I had an idea to use my real first name, Dusan, pronounced Dushan, while in Greece. Peter is my middle name. I was called Dusan at home and by my parent’s friends until we moved to Canada where I turned twelve. Peter is the name I used at school, as my mother believed in the importance of assimilation. In Australia my parents went by Jane and Roy rather than Vuko and Slavica when they named their grocery store. My sister Allankah was Helen. I thought the idea would be fun.

So I have been trying to buy a whole fresh fish since we arrived. Sunday, he was closed. On Monday, he had fish but no one to clean it. "Come back tomorrow, we open at 9". I waited and no one. Today, I thought we’d have breakfast first. Nope, no one there at 9:45, and again at 10:45. We even passed by again on our way to catch the bus to Pollonia, a small seaside town northwest of Adamas. Our plan was to grab a bite after walking around the small town and then catching the one o'clock bus back to Adamas, a 20 minute ride. We stopped in a store and showed the woman the sign that was in the fish market window. It said, back in five minutes. She told us the woman who cleans fish there is her sister Christina, “tell her you met Maria, Pollonia”. She was so happy. We were blown away by the small world and the coincidence.

We had a light al fresco lunch at a seaside table of grilled sardines for me and Jill had a locally produced fried cheese which was delicious, and a couple of Mythos beers to quench our thirst. Then back to Adamas and guess what, the sign at the fish market still said, back in 5 minutes. So back to the market for more chevap, Jill’s choice, and salad for dinner and more marinated octopus. It was a hot day so the swim at our beach before dinner was awesome. It seems that the summer Meltemi winds have subsided. 

A bit about Milos, the original home of Venus de Milo now at the Louvre. It is a volcanic island and a source of obsidian, a glass like volcanic rock which was used for knives and sharp tools before the Bronze Age, as early as 15,000 years ago. The greyish-white volcanic rocks at the beach we went to yesterday, are the most photographed rock structures in the Aegean.

I have added more picture to yesterday’s post which were missed.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba Day 7, January 16, 2024

Our last day in paradise, is always a little melancholy on this beautiful sunny day. Saying goodbye to the wonderful Cubans we have met. We ...