Wednesday 5 September 2018

Milos, Greece, Day 6



Last night Jill got bit by a friendly schizo cat who showed up on our terrace, so this morning we walked into Adamas to talk to the pharmacist. As we passed by the fish market (which was amazingly open) we asked if Christina was in to clean the fish today and unfortunately she was not.  Jill told the pharmacist that she was a bit by a stay cat and deadpan, the pharmacist said, “did the cat die”. We had a good laugh and he said not to worry. 

We stopped in to the fish market again on our way back to our hotel and I asked if I could use his facilities to clean the fish that I so wanted to buy. He said no. I decided I would clean it myself. I asked for Dorada and one went in the bag. Jill asked if one was enough. I asked if he had any that were bigger, but was told that all were about 600 g so we took one more. 6 Euros each was a bargain since restaurants were charging 60 Euros a kilo. When we got back to our hotel I asked Christos if I could possible use his kitchen to clean the fish, when he asked his Mother she offered to clean them for me. Wonderful.

We decided to go to one of the most popular restaurants for lunch, across from the beach. It was like an artist’s enclave. Colourful painted chairs, all with hand painted inscriptions and hand written menus in a variety of languages. Jill had the juicy pork chops and I had the melitzana (eggplant) stuffed with ground lamb and goat. We were so full at the end. Back for a siesta and then a swim. Wednesday means cruise ship day, although it was not a big one it was perfect for island cruising. 


We picked up another bottle of Italian bubbly for our last night on Milos. We leave tomorrow at noon by ferry for Sifnos. Dinner was spectacular. It was a little like camping since the cooking facilities were limited. No oven, but a two burner stove top did the trick with two fry pans with lids. We bought some extra virgin olive oil in town so we were set with salt, a lemon and Italian parsley. Simple and delicious.  Dinner with wine would have cost us 120 Euros in a restaurant but we did it for 24 and finished it off with an espresso. I brought my 6 cup mocha.








3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow "friendly" and "bit" don't belong in the same sentence. You have to watch stray cats even ones that aren't stray. Now that you have had an incident each, no more allowed😊. Nice shirts, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take a picture of your fish dinner?

    ReplyDelete

Cuba Day 7, January 16, 2024

Our last day in paradise, is always a little melancholy on this beautiful sunny day. Saying goodbye to the wonderful Cubans we have met. We ...