Tuesday 18 September 2018

Paleochora, Crete, Greece, Day 7

Paleochora, Day 7

Our last full day in Paleochora and almost the end of our great Grecian adventure. I made a run to the fish shop to buy some squid. The fish shop cat followed me in hoping for a handout. Jill does not like squid but we decided to make pasta for dinner with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes, Jill’s favourite. I cooked the squid separately and added it to my pasta at the end. 

As I did yesterday, I had my breakfast eggs and bacon with a rusk. Rusk is a twice baked barley dry biscuit. It is dark brown in colour and absolutely delicious. Never tasted anything like it. I can understand why they love it here.

The wind was still incredibly strong with gusts that make you hang onto your hat. 

For our last day, we decided to spend the day at Psilos Volakas Beach. The sandy beach across from our hotel was filled with waves and blowing sand but we knew Psilos Volakas would be sheltered from the north easterly winds. We walked along the coastal road and made it in 25 minutes. We were there by 11:30 with just a few people on the beach. We picked two loungers under a palm umbrella in the shade. After a swim and a dry off, we searched for stones and then went up to the cantina for a shared beer and a shared souvlaki. In Greece the portions are large, so sharing works well. Three souvlaki came with the most delicious chips, seasoned and fried perfectly. I don’t eat chips very often, but when I do, I appreciate when they are delicious. Another swim and some reading. I am reading Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential, love it, plus it makes me so sad that he is gone. I watched all of his TV adventures and its his voice I hear in my head as I read along. We were like best friends.


We walked back to Paleochora past the beautiful rocks we were saying goodbye to. Incredible landscapes burned into our minds. After showers, Jill went shopping while I prepared dinner. Having just two hobs with virtually no counter space was challenging, let alone not having a cutting board or a chef’s knife. Did I mention we bought a large frypan? We call it glamping. We made the best of what we had and dinner was delicious. Jill kept mentioning baklava so after dinner, I scooted out to the baker and got one piece of a fabulous baklava from the Vakakis family bakery. We shared one piece. With espresso and Metaxa, delicious! I ate most of it. Yum.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba Day 7, January 16, 2024

Our last day in paradise, is always a little melancholy on this beautiful sunny day. Saying goodbye to the wonderful Cubans we have met. We ...