Sunday 16 September 2018

Paleochora, Crete, Greece, Day 5


Another beautiful warm sunny day in Paleochora. Before breakfast, I made my now daily trek to the fish shop. Yesterday I noticed too late when my Dorada, Sea Bream, was being cleaned, that they had Branzino, European sea bass. So today I was happy to see some on ice. I asked for the largest and he reached under the smaller ones and pulled out a nice one for two. Just 6.5 Euros for a 600 g fish. Sea bass is said to be even tastier than Sea Bream but as it ended up, we liked Sea Bream better because it had fewer bones and we also preferred the taste.

After breakfast we decided to hike to the west of Paleochora by following the coastal road. The rock formations, some with caves, were strikingly awesome. When I see massive rocks with round river rocks, many larger than bowling balls, imbedded throughout I can’t help but wonder how they were formed many millions of years ago. 

The first beach we came across was Kalamia Beach. It was completely made up of large river rocks. I call them that because I don't know what else to call them. They obviously were rounded by the action of water over the course of thousands, if not millions of years. And here we are, man, a spec in time, marvelling at nature’s beauty. Have I mentioned I love rocks.

We then hiked a little further and discovered, Psilos Volakas Beach. A small idyllic cove with a round stone beach with loungers and a cantina. There was less than a dozen people enjoying the sun and the water. The cantina was closed but we sat in their chairs to cool down out of the sun. We sure could have used a cold one. It is low season and a Sunday, but after 15 minutes a car pulled up and started opening up. Jill and I split a beer then unexpectedly out came a tray with two rusks, creamy feta type cheese, salt cured olives and seasoned cucumbers - on the house! Greek hospitality, plus the beer was just 3 Euros. No tourist traps here

We hiked back to our hotel in the heat of the day and cooled down with a short 15 minute siesta in the air conditioning. We were hungry so we went to Odyssey Pizzeria to share an avocado salad and a beer. So delicious! Swim time at the sandy beach and then relax before dinner. I love fish. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba Day 7, January 16, 2024

Our last day in paradise, is always a little melancholy on this beautiful sunny day. Saying goodbye to the wonderful Cubans we have met. We ...